HND Graphic Design
Learn the art of visual communication. Get the skills and knowledge to use type, space and image to communicate with an audience, while building towards a career in print and digital design.
This is a highly intensive and practical two-year BTEC HND covering all areas of graphic design, the mastery of which will give you access to some of the best jobs in the field. You acquire broad understanding and competence in the areas of typography, corporate identity, editorial design, and web design. And you will graduate with an impressive range of skills and the confidence to work for clients.
This qualification can be taken on its own, or for direct entry to the final year of the BA (Hons) Graphic Design programme at Prague College.
A Practical Education
- Outstanding lecturers and guest speakers; small class sizes; excellent support.
- A modern graphic design studio environment with exhibition spaces; industry resources appropriate for class and subject areas; Mac and PC labs; advanced Adobe and Autodesk software; specialist multimedia tools.
- Students work on real projects and competitions.
- Cooperation with many public, private and NGO organisations.
- Opportunities for work experience during the programme.
- Provides 120 ECTS (240 UK) university credits.
Graduates can go on to complete the BA or start an exciting career as a graphic designer. Graduates find employment as junior art directors, illustrators, book makers, web designers and many other design related careers. Many students work freelance and some build their own studios.
What you study
Modules focus on typography, idea generation and the principles of design while also convering some of the software skills. You will explore the history of design and research more deeply into a specific theme. All graduating students will have a public exhibition of their work at the programme.
- Visual communication in Art & Design
- Drawing Techniques and Processes in Art & Design
- Contextual and Cultural Referencing in Art & Design
- Ideas Generation and Development in Art & Design
- Interactive Media Web Authoring*
- Typographical Skills*
- Mass Text Application
- Communication with Images in Art & Design*
- Graphic Design Production & Good Creative Practice
- Corporate identity in Graphic Design
- Critical Studies in Art & Design
- Personal Style in Graphic Design
- Ideas in Context*
- Project Design, Implementation and Evaluation*
- Professional Practice in Art & Design
- Management of the Design and Production Process
- Interactive Media design and Prototyping
- Design Principles
1. High school or previous college education, which could be one of the following:
- a Czech high school diploma (maturita)
- one A-level pass or LCCIEB equivalent
- International Baccalaureate Diploma
- a Prague College Diploma
- an American high school diploma, assessed individually
- equivalent education from other countries, assessed individually
Students with experience or equivalent education in some subjects of the programme may be granted advance credit towards the HND after completing the required Assessment of Prior Learning or Experience documentation
2. Proof of English level upon entry, which could be one of the following:
- ELSA score of at least 340, administered at Prague College or elsewhere in the world
- TOEFL iBT score of at least 70
- IELTS score of at least 5.5
- a First Certificate (A or B)
- other equivalent English assessment, subject to Prague College approval
If you need to improve your language skills, you can take one of our access programmes.
3. Portfolio and letter of motivation
Applicants are asked to show a portfolio of any previous graphic or art work in any format. The applicant will be interviewed, and a small project may be set as part of the entry assessment. Samples of work can be sent electronically or brought in physically. In all cases, we will ask for a short (300 word) letter of motivation that describes why you want to study Graphic Design at Prague College.
Please contact us for more information about the Portfolio Requirements.
Don’t have a portfolio? You can still apply and join Foundation Diploma in Art & Design, a one-year programme that allows students to experience a range of artistic techniques, materials and processes while allowing space for experimentation and the development of practical skills. If you are not sure which programme you should apply for, speak to your recruiter about this possibility.
Tuition & Payment
The Prague College academic year has two semesters starting in late September and mid-February. An intensive summer semester runs in June.
Prague College Scholarships
All applicants are eligible to apply for scholarships which may be awarded in consideration of academic excellence, social engagement in school activities or generally in society, financial need and special circumstances. We also have a special fund to support students coming from Czech-language and Slovak-language secondary schools and universities
Typically scholarships will cover up to 10%, 20%, 50% or 80% of tuition for either a single academic year or the duration of the programme.
Apply early. The number of scholarships is limited. Ask us for details!
Czech students are eligible for Gaudeamus student loans from Komercni Banka. Some students from other countries have received funding from their home countries to study at Prague College, and if you think you may be eligible for funding from your home country do not hesitate to ask for our advice and support.
When to pay
A deposit on tuition ensures new students a place on the programme. Full tuition for the first semester is due two weeks before starting the programme, except in the case of late registrations.
International students pay the first semester, relevant registration fees and the first semester rent for accommodation before starting the visa application process.
Continuing students pay the next semester tuition two weeks before the end of the current semester.
Early payment discounts
You can save up to 8% if you pay the academic year in advance. The discount is calculated as 1% per month for each month the individual semester payments are paid early.
New students do not receive a discount on their first semester, but if they choose to pay the first year up front, then they would receive the discount for the second semester.
Students who have finished the first semester, and who make all their payments by the due date, can apply for a payment plan for an administrative fee of 700 Czk per semester plus 1% surcharge for each installment.
Contact us now if you have any question regarding tuition deadlines, early payment discounts or your eligibility for a payment plan.