BSc (Hons) Computing (Blended Learning)
This undergraduate computing programme provides a technical education to give you the practical and theoretical skills to pursue a wide range of careers in IT and computing. You study in a highly practical format, gaining the experience, skills and confidence that come from successfully realizing your own projects. It is expected that students on this course will come to it with previous experience and knowledge of the field.
This programme includes two great qualifications, an HND in Computing & Systems Development at the end of the second year and a Bachelor’s degree in Computing at the end of the third year.
The Blended Learning programme has been created especially for professionals. It provides an approach that is more suitable for those in employment, and the whole programme can be completed in 3.5 years (9 semesters).
Why take the Blended Learning Programme?
- Flexible learning allows you to develop your existing professional skills and strengths at your own pace.
- Employers really value continuous improvement that comes from lifelong learning.
- Flexible courses can be completed in fewer semesters than a traditional part-time course.
- And you can start at any time of year; September, February or in the summer!
Opportunity and Inspiration
- Build on your maturity and ability to work independently
- Engage directly with many companies and business leaders
- Gain confidence through projects in real-life business contexts
- Learn from lecturers and professionals who bring their experience directly
- Take a highly practical approach with guidance and supervision from instructors
What you study
The programme is completed in 9 semesters using five modes of study:
- Self-Study (SS): these modules require the learner to engage in a personal development and self-study process. Academic support is entirely offered by the Moodle platform, and study materials and assignment briefs are given at the beginning of the module. Modules are delivered as self-structured units completed at home.
- Guided Learning (GL): the guided learning mode of study requires a certain level of interaction between tutors and the learners in the form of shared activities (online time assessment, forum discussions etc.). These activities require approximately 15 hours per module in order to complete them, with another 5 hours for individual feedback online. The module comes in a self-structured format and are complemented by additional resources provided by the the tutors.
- Distance Learning (DL): the distance learning mode of study is a combination of the self study mode and workshops. At least 12 hours are scheduled per module, in which tutors and learners engage in a class-based environment and work on the assignments. Study materials are provided through Moodle and complemented by class materials in order to offer a comprehensive view of the subject area.
- Tutor-Based (TB): modules with close guidance from tutors and lecturers. These modules are designed around 20 hours of lectures and tutorials, complemented by study material in Moodle. Typically, sessions are scheduled by the module tutors, and learners and tutors engage in guided learning in seminar format to prepare for final assessment.
- Taught (T): The final year of the BSc is taught on site in the evenings with some weekend seminars.
Year 1 HND
- Website Design
- Business Skills for eCommerce
- Networking Infrastructure
- Mathematics for Software Development
- Object-oriented Programming
- Procedural Programming
- Systems Analysis & Design
- General Computing Pathway
- Information Systems in Organisations
- General Computing Pathway
Year 2 HND
- Programming in Java
- Computer Systems
- Data Analysis & Design
- Employability & Professional Development
- Project Design, Implementation & Evaluation
- To develop students’ skills of independent enquiry by undertaking a sustained investigation of direct relevance to their vocational, academic and professional development. This module gives students opportunities to develop skills in decision making, problem solving and communication, integrated with the skills and knowledge developed in many of the other units within the programme to complete a realistic project. The module requires students to select, plan, implement and evaluate a project and present the outcomes, in terms of the process and the product of the project.
- Data Structures & Algorithms
- Networking Security
- General Computing Pathway
- Web Applications Development
- General Computing Pathway
- Advanced Networks
- Advanced Server-Side Technologies
- ICT Service Management
- Advanced Databases
- Computing Project
To be considered for the Blended Learning Programme, a prospective student must be at least 21 years old and be able to fulfil the following criteria:
- At least two consecutive years’ employment or self-employment
- Previous knowledge and experience of IT and computing
- At least one reference, generally from an employer or previous academic tutor
- High school or previous college education, which could be one of the following:
- a Czech high school diploma (maturita)
- two A-level passes or LCCIEB equivalent
- a Prague College Diploma
- equivalent education from other countries, assessed individually
Students with experience or equivalent education in some subjects of the programme may be granted advance credit towards the HND after completing the required Assessment of Prior Learning or Experience documentation.Proof of English level upon entry, which could be one of the following:
- ELSA score of at least 380, administered at Prague College or elsewhere in the world
- TOEFL iBT score of at least 79, IELTS score – 6.0 or FCE (A)
- You should also submit:
- A letter of motivation (300 words) that identifies why you want to study at Prague College and in this particular programme.
- A detailed CV highlighting evidence of IT background
- Final interview – a formal discussion with the applicant and final confirmation of the application process.
Tuition & Payment
Tuition for each of the first 7 semesters costs 40,200 CZK per semester (three semesters per year)
For the final year (two semesters only), the tuition is set at 88,400 CZK per semester.
Semester 1 - 7 (HND)
44,300 CZK per semester
Semester 8 - 9 (BA)
88,400 CZK per semester
Prague College Scholarships
All applicants are eligible to apply for scholarships which may be awarded in consideration of academic excellence, social engagement in school activities or generally in society, financial need and special circumstances. We also have a special fund to support students coming from Czech-language and Slovak-language secondary schools and universities
Successful scholarship winners can have from 5% up to 30% of their tuition covered for either a single academic year or the duration of the programme.
Apply early. The number of scholarships is limited. Ask us for details!
Czech students are eligible for Gaudeamus student loans from Komercni Banka. Some students from other countries have received funding from their home countries to study at Prague College, and if you think you may be eligible for funding from your home country do not hesitate to ask for our advice and support.
When to pay
A deposit on tuition ensures new students a place on the programme. Full tuition for the first semester is due two weeks before starting the programme, except in the case of late registrations.
International students pay the first semester, relevant registration fees and the first semester rent for accommodation before starting the visa application process.
Continuing students pay the next semester tuition two weeks before the end of the current semester.
Early payment discounts
You can save up to 8% if you pay the academic year in advance. The discount is calculated as 1% per month for each month the individual semester payments are paid early.
New students do not receive a discount on their first semester, but if they choose to pay the first year up front, then they would receive the discount for the second semester.
Students who have finished the first semester, and who make all their payments by the due date, can apply for a payment plan for an administrative fee of 700 Czk per semester plus 1% surcharge for each installment.
Contact us now if you have any question regarding tuition deadlines, early payment discounts or your eligibility for a payment plan.