BA (Hons) Communications & Media Studies
This undergraduate degree introduces students to the latest practices in new and contemporary media, starting with journalism, film, TV, and radio and expanding into multi-platform and convergent journalism. This exciting programme in the heart of Europe works to international media standards and practices, and creates professionals able to analyse and think critically, opening work opportunities in media channels around the world.
Over the course of the three-year programme, students have access to industry-standard facilities, including TV/film, radio and photography studios, digital video and audio editing suites. Through hands-on work supported by theoretical knowledge, students are prepared for work in a broad spectrum of media, from print, electronic and online to film, press, radio, photojournalism, and new media.
Throughout the programme students develop close links to the international media industry, and come into regular contact with media professionals. Students may also gain practical experience by applying for a media internship as part of the programme. The programme is complemented by a regular lecture series presenting talks by international figures in the media industry. The BA (Hons) Communications & Media Studies programme is strongly international, with students from all over the world helping to create a diverse cultural experience that reflects the world of contemporary media and media production.
Students also gain broad knowledge of social history, theory and media history, develop analytical and critical thinking, and learn about current ethical challenges in the media industries.
This programme includes two great qualifications, an HND in Creative Media Production at the end of the second year and a Bachelor’s degree at the end of the third year.*
Our vision is to produce graduates with the highest professional standards, whose competence embraces professional ethics and humanistic values. Our graduates are interdisciplinary media specialists and future media leaders who help shape existing social and political norms and are active participants and creators of public discourse.
Opportunity & Inspiration
- Small classes enabling direct contact and guidance from professionals
- Outstanding lecturers and guest speakers offering excellent support.
- Modern studio environment with industry resources appropriate for class and subject areas; Mac and PC labs; advanced software; specialist multimedia tools.
- Students work on real-life projects, sometimes with real clients.
- Vocational programme with hands-on experience - thus better employment opportunities
- Cooperation with many media organizations, including TV, radio, broadcast, film etc.
- Opportunities for work experience during the programme.
- Provides 240 ECTS (360 UK) university credits.
BA (Hons) Communications and Media Studies provides solid background and training to prepare students for work in a broad spectrum of media: print, electronic and online media, PR, audio/visual forms, press, advertising, storytelling, photography, film and new media. Competence is developed across a wide-range of technologies and skills, including: online news writing; PR; radio programming; new media technologies, designing, creating, and delivering marketing campaigns; designing media releases. Our strong emphasis is on analytical and critical thinking.
This programme prepares students to work in media industries, creative industries, media organizations and elsewhere locally, internationally, or globally. It extends technical and practical knowledge with a significant theoretical base to become a ‘fully equipped’ media specialist and practitioner.
*The final Bachelor's year of the programme is awaiting validation in the near future
What you study
Our dedication to practical and experiential learning is underpinned by activities that include practical projects, fieldwork, professional lectures, workshops, seminars, internships, volunteer placements, research, and group projects.
Students have an opportunity to experiment and work in a broad spectrum of media during their studies, but also to specialize according to their own preferences and needs (print, electronic and online media, audio/visual forms, press, radio, storytelling, photojournalism, film and new media).
The modules in the third year will be made public upon validation of the third year.*
- Contextual Studies for Creative Media Production
- Study and Communication Skills
- Practical Skills for Journalism
- Film Studies
- Radio Studies
- Research Techniques for Creative Media Production
- Feature Writing for Newspapers and Magazines
- Promotional Video Production
- Convergent Journalism
- Project Design, Implementation and Evaluation
- Special Subject Investigation for Creative Media Production
- Television Studies
- Moving Image Documentary Production
- Career Development for Journalism
- Audiobooks, Audio Guides and Talking Newspapers
- Producing Multi-platform Radio Programmes
- Work Experience in the Creative Media Sector
Year 3 - To be announced
1. High school or previous college education, which could be one of the following:
- a Czech high school diploma (maturita)
- two A-level passes or LCCIEB equivalent
- a Prague College Diploma
- equivalent education from other countries, assessed individually
Students with experience or equivalent education in some subjects of the programme may be granted advance credit after completing the required Assessment of Prior Learning or Experience documentation.
2. Proof of English level upon entry, which could be one of the following:
- ELSA score of at least 380, administered at Prague College or elsewhere in the world
- TOEFL iBT score of at least 79, IELTS score – 6.0 or FCE (A)
If you need to improve your language skills, you can take one of our access programmes.
3. A letter of motivation (300 words) that identifies why you want to study at Prague College and in this particular programme.
4. Final interview – a formal discussion with the applicant and final confirmation of the application process.
Tuition & PaymentPlease click here for the latest tuition fees
The Prague College academic year has two semesters starting late September and mid-February. An intensive summer semester runs in June.
Prague College Scholarships
All applicants are eligible to apply for scholarships which may be awarded in consideration of academic excellence, social engagement in school activities or generally in society, financial need and special circumstances. We also have a special fund to support students coming from Czech-language and Slovak-language secondary schools and universities
Successful scholarship winners can have from 5% up to 30% of their tuition covered for either a single academic year or the duration of the programme.
Apply early. The number of scholarships is limited. Ask us for details!
Czech students are eligible for Gaudeamus student loans from Komercni Banka. Some students from other countries have received funding from their home countries to study at Prague College, and if you think you may be eligible for funding from your home country do not hesitate to ask for our advice and support.
When to pay
A deposit on tuition ensures new students a place on the programme. Full tuition for the first semester is due two weeks before starting the programme, except in the case of late registrations.
International students pay the first semester, relevant registration fees and the first semester rent for accommodation before starting the visa application process.
Continuing students pay the next semester tuition two weeks before the end of the current semester.
Early payment discounts
You can save up to 8% if you pay the academic year in advance. The discount is calculated as 1% per month for each month the individual semester payments are paid early.
New students do not receive a discount on their first semester, but if they choose to pay the first year up front, then they would receive the discount for the second semester.
Students who have finished the first semester, and who make all their payments by the due date, can apply for a payment plan for an administrative fee of 700 Czk per semester plus 1% surcharge for each installment.
Contact us now if you have any question regarding tuition deadlines, early payment discounts or your eligibility for a payment plan.